Thengai pooranam is a mixture of coconut with the jaggery syrup. This is the first time I made thengai pooranam. I learnt this from my paati (Dad’s mom). Amma and paati makes pooranam as a stuffing for modhagam. This is one of my favourite sweets(Of course whatever that is made out of jaggery :P). Whenever they make this, I thought it is a very difficult recipe. But to make the thengai pooranam is very easy and you can make it in no minutes.
Freshly grated Coconut – 1 cup
Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Water – To dissolve the jaggery
Cardamom powder – A pinch
Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Dissolve the jaggery in the water.
- Strain it to remove the dust particles and it to one string consistency.
- Add the ghee and cardomom powder to it. Mix well.
- Now add the grated coconut and mix well so that the jaggery and the grated coconut are blended well.
- This can be eaten as such or can be used for making modhagam.