Vella cheedai is a snack that is prepared for Gokulashtami. My amma and paati have told me that it is always challenging to make vella seedai. Because either it will become hard or it will dissolve in oil. This is the first time I made this recipe and by luck I got it good. Hope you too will make this recipe and enjoy!!! Urad dhal makes the seedai crispy and if you want to make the soft seedai, you can skip adding the urad dhal flour.
Rice flour – 1 cup
Urad dhal flour – 1 ladle or 2 tbsp
Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Shredded coconut – 1 tbsp
Butter – 1-2 tbsp
Elaichi powder – 1/2 tsp
Sesame – 1 tsp
Water – To dissolve the jaggery
- Please refer home made rice flour except the roasting step.
- For vella seedai, you have to roast the rice flour until the colour changes from white to brown.
Urad dhal flour
- Roast the urad dhal in a heavy bottomed pan until you feel the aroma of urad dhal.
- Now grind the roasted urad dhal in a mixer and sieve it to get the smooth flour.
- Again grind the left out particles on the sieve and sieve it. Repeat this step until there is no left out particles on the sieve.
- Store it in a container.
- Dissolve the jaggery in water and strain it in another vessel.
- Heat the jaggery syrup. Normally my amma and paati makes it to thakkali pazha consistency ie., consistency that is between one and two string consistency. But I just heated the syrup.
- Add rice flour, urad dhal flour, elaichi powder, butter, sesame and mix it well.
- Refrigerate the dough for an hour.
- Now apply ghee on your hands and make balls out of the dough.
- Spread it on a newspaper so that it absorbs the extra moisture.
- Now heat oil in a pan and deep fry the balls.
- Take care that it donot distort in shape. Remove it from the oil once it turns golden brown.
- Donot close the container immediately as it may make the vella seedai very soft.
- Both the rice flour and urad dhal flour should be ground and sieved several times until you get the smooth flour.
- The dough should be tight so that it will not dissolve in oil.
- You can also roast the sesame if necessary.
- Donot close the container where you have stored the vella seedai immmediately. This will soften the recipe.
- After making the balls spread it on a newspaper so that the extra moisture is absorbed. this is prevent the bursting of seedai.