Karuveppillai kuzhambu is a spicy and tasty gravy. Karuvepillai=Karu+ Vepillai…. this leaves act as a vepillai to uterus and helps to get rid of irregular periods. It is rich in iron. So it is advised to include a lot of curry leaves in our diet. It is also a super good remedy for hair fall and helps in maintaining black hair. My husband and I bought curry leaves for day to day cooking. Since we got a large bunch it started to dry after a week. So I thought of making this recipe instead of wasting the curry leaves. It was totally a new gravy for him. This can be made during rainy days and goes well with hot rice and pappadam.
Tamarind -Lemon size
Jaggery – 2 tsp
Salt- As required
Curry leaves – A bunch
Peppercorns – 4-6
Channa dhal – 4 tsp
Urad dhal – 4 tsp
Coriander seeds – 4 tsp
Red chillies – 2
Hing – A pinch
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract juice.
- In a kadai, add 1/2 tsp oil and add the ingredients given for grinding and fry them till golden brown.Allow it to cool.
- Now grind the ingredients with 2 tbsp water. It should not be too watery.
- Heat the pan and add oil. First add the mustard seeds and once it splutters, add channa dhal and urad dhal. Once they turn golden brown, add the curry leaves.
- Add the tamarind juice, ground paste, jaggery and stir well.
- Allow the gravy to cook for few minutes until it reach thick consistency. Sprinkle hing.
- Serve with hot rice and pappadam.