Dhokla is a healthy recipe that can be used as a main course or as a snack. It originates from Gujarat. You can make different varieties of dhokla like bread dhokla, khaman dhokla, rava dhokla, etc., I am going to give you the recipe for khaman dhokla. I learnt this recipe from my perima(my mom’s sister). She was residing in Gujarat for a decade. When I went once, she asked me have you tasted salt cake? I wondered!!!! Normally cake itself means sweet. How could it be a salt cake!!! I said I am ready to taste it and she made this recipe in no minutes. Also she taught me the method of making this. Wow!!! It was delicious. Then I made this for my uncle and he loved it a lottt!!!! Now this has become the favourite one for all at home. I am dedicating this to my perima… Thank you for teaching this. Love you perima <3 <3 <3 <3….
Besan flour – 3 cups
Semolina – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 1 tbsp
Salt – To taste
Green chilli paste – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
Fruit salt/Eno – 2 pkts
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Green chillies – 2
- In a bowl, add the besan flour, semolina, sugar, green chilli paste, salt, lemon juice. Add water to this and mix well without forming any lumps.
- Add eno salt/fruit salt and stir well. You can see the batter raising with effervescence. The quantity of the batter will raise.
- Grease the cake pan and pour this batter into the plate.
- In a pressure cooker, add water. Keep a small cup of water as a stand to keep the cake pan with the batter.
- Steam cook it for 20 minutes. Then turn off the stove and put the whisle and allow it to stand for five minutes.
- Now open the lid and insert a tooth pick to check whether the dhokla is cooked well.
- With a sharp knife, remove the dhokla on the sides of the cake pan
- Now close the cake pan with a plate and turn it upside down.
- You will get the dhokla on the plate.
- After two minutes, cut it into pieces.
- In a pan, splutter mustard seeds. once they crack, add the choped green chillies and curry leaves. Add 2 tbsp of water and temper it on the dhokla.
- Garnish it with the grated coconut.