Gotsu is a side dish that goes well with Venpongal, and molagootal rice. Usually Amma and Paati makes puli inji or some thogayal as an accompaniment for molagootal rice. I learnt this recipe from my perima(Mom’s sister). She made this as a side dish for Gujarat kichadi. It tasted good and I tried this at my home.
Tamarind – Lemon size
Orange skin- few
Lady’sfinger – 1
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Salt – To taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1tsp
Green chilli – 1
- Add some water to the tamarind and allow it to boil. Or pressure cook it.
- Extract juice from the tamarind.
- Add oil in the pan and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add channa dhal, urad dhal and green chilli. Saute them until they turn golden brown.
- Then add the extracted tamarind juice.
- To this add turmeric powder, salt, Red chilli powder and allow it to boil.
- then add the orange skin, lady’s finger, tomato and cook in medium flame until they are cooked well.
- Serve with venpongal, molagootal rice or kichadi.