Tomato rice is a tangy and spice rice that suits for packing in the lunch ox. This will be the lunch for the school and college that amma and paati makes almost once in a week. They both make different version of tomato rice. Paati makes a thick paste with tomato and onion that can be mixed with the rice and amma cooks the rice along with all the spices and tomato. This is patti’s version.
Tomato – 8
Onions – 3
Green chillies – 2
Cilantro – few
Curry leaves – few
Asafoetida – A pinch
Salt – A pinch
Channa dhal – 4 tsp
Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
Urad dhal – 2 tsp
Red chillies – 2
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cut the tomatoes and mash it well.
- Chop the onions into small pieces.
- In a kadai, add oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Once they crack, add the channa dhal,urad dhal, coriander seeds and saute until they turn golden brown.
- Then add green chillies and onions, fry it till golden brown.
- Add the mashed tomatoes and allow it to cook well.
- When the raw smell of the tomatoes disappear, add turmeric powder, salt, Asafoetida and cook for two minutes.
- then add the ground powder and mix well.
- Finally garnish it with the curry leaves and cilantro.
- The gravy should be thick like a paste.
- Mix with the hot rice and serve hot. it is also one of the best tiffin box recipes.
- It goes well with karuvadam/pappadam.
- You can use this paste as a side dish for curd rice.