Rasam is basically South Indian soup, that takes a main part in their feast. There are many varieties of rasam and most of them have tamarind extract as their main item. But lemon rasam is something exceptioal, that is made without tamarind. The preparation of this rasam is quite different and very easy. You also use moong dhal instead of toor dhal. It has an unique lemon flavour and tastes best when served with hot rice and masala papad.
Moong dhal – 1/2 cup
Tomato – 1 (Small size)
Green chillies – 3
Ginger – small piece
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Jeera powder – A pinch
Salt – To taste
Water – 4 cups
Lemon – 1
Coriander leaves – few
Curry leaves – few
- Pressure cook the moong dhal with turmeric powder. Donot add salt while cooking the dhal.
- In a pan, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add green chillies and saute.
- Then chop the tomatoes and cook it with litle water.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add moong dhal with some water.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, jeera powder.
- Allow it to boil.
- Finally add the chopped cilantro and curry leaves.
- Turn off the stove and allow it to cool for sometime.
- Extract juice from lemon in a separate vessel. Remove the seeds.
- Then add this juice into the rasam.
- Serve with hot rice and masala papad.