Arachukalakki is a distinctive dish of Palakkad Iyers. This is a best side dish for molagushyam, mulagootal. You can also have this as a main course. It is an easy recipe consisting of two steps – grinding and mixing. Hence the name arachukalakki(Arachu-grind,kalakki – mix). Coconut and curd are the two main ingredients. You can also make this by adding nelikkai (gooseberry) or chambakka(rose apple).
Grated Coconut – 5 tbsp
Sour curd – 1 or 2 ladle
Green Chillies – As required
Salt to taste
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Grind the grated coconut, green chillies with salt.
- In a kadai, splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack, add urad dhal and curry leaves.
- After the urad dhal turns brown, turn off the stove and pour this into coconut green chilli mixture.
- A minute before serving, add the curd.
- If you add this before, it will become sour.
- The gravy should neither be too watery nor too thick.