Tomato rice is a tangy and spice rice that suits for packing in the lunch ox. This will be the lunch for the school and college that amma and paati makes almost once in a week. They both make different version of tomato rice. Paati makes a thick paste that can be mixed with the rice and amma cooks the rice along with all the spices and tomato. This is my version.
Rice – 1/2 cup
Tomatoes – 4
Big onion – 1
Green chillies – 2
red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – To garnish
- Pressure cook the rice with little salt and 1 tsp oil.
- Spread the rice on a plate to cool down.
- Slice the onions, green chillies, coriander, tomatoes and keep aside.
- In a kadai, heat oil and splutter mustard seeds, urad dhal, channa dhal.
- Then add the onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add all the spice powders alongwith the salt.
- Mix well till tomato turns to a paste. Or you can grind the tomato and add the tomato puree.
- Add little water if necessary.
- Saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the coriander leaves.
- Mix the rice with the paste.
- Your tomato rice is ready to serve