Bisi-bele-bath is a Kannada phrase meaning hot lentil rice. This is a Karnataka recipe. You can find this in restaurants that has Udupi cuisine. Amma makes this recipe at home occasionally when my bro and I were kids. Later I learnt some tips from our kannadian family friend and found it very easy and tastier. So this is a combination of Amma’s and Aunty’s version. Everytime aunty makes this and give to us we could find a different unique flavour and her tips helped me to get that flavour.
To grind(Bisi-bele-bath powder)
Coriander seeds – 1 cup
Channa dhal – 1/2 cup
Toor dhal – 1/4 cup
Urad dhal – 1/4 cup
Red chilli – As per taste
Fenugreek – 1 tsp
Bisi-bele-bath powder – 2 tbsp
Tamarind – lemon size
Water – 2 cups
Salt- As required
Turmeric powder- A pinch
Grated Coconut- 1/2 cup
Gingelley oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Ground nut- one hand-full
Curry leaves – few
Raw rice – 1 cup
Toor dhal – 1/2 cup
Water – 5 cups
- Fry the items given for grinding one by one until they turn golden brown.
- Then leave it aside for fifteen minutes and grind it.
- This powder can be made in large quantities, stored and can be used when making bisi-bele ath. But when made instantly, the flavour of the ingredients will remain fresh.
- Wash and pressure cook the rice and toor dhal with 5 cups of water.
- Rice should be cooked well. It should be mushy.
- You can cook the tamarind along with the rice and toor dhal in a separate cup with little water.
- Then extract the tamarind juice and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed vessel, add oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they crack add channa dhal, toor dhal, curry leaves and fry till golden brown.
- Now add the tamarind juice and allow it to boil.
- Then add two cups of water, turmeric powder, salt, bisi-bele-bath powder and allow it to boil again.
- Now simmer the stove.
- Once they start to boil, add the pressure cooked rice and mix well.
- Mix everything together and keep it in low flame for five minutes.
- Serve with salad, papad, vadam.
Note: I made this without adding any vegetables. You can use potato, onion, drumstick. Add these vegetables once the tamarind juice start to boil.