Huli Avalakki is made with beaten rice. It can be called as podi aval upma in Tamil. I learnt this recipe from one of our family friends. This is one of the Karnataka recipes. It is easy to make. I like to have it with banana slices.
Beaten rice – 2 cups
Tamarind – Gooseberry size
Rasam powder- 2 tbsp(refer posting on Dec 4th)
Salt – As required
Turmeric powder -A pinch
Jaggery- 1/2 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Ground nuts – 4 tbsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urd dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 arc
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Gingelley oil – 2 tbsp
- Ground the beaten rice into a coarse powder.
- Boil the water and add tamarind into it. Extract tamarind juice and filter it remove the dust
- In the tamarind juice add rasam powder, salt, jaggery, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Pour this into the ground beaten rice and mix well.
- Press it tight and leave it for half an hour. This will help the beaten rice to absorb the water that we have added.
- In a kadai, add oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Once they crack, add channa dhal, urad dhal, groundnuts and fry till golden brown.
- Then add turmeric power, curry leaves.
- Finally add the beaten rice mixture and mix it well with the seasoning.
- Keep it in sim for five minutes and turn off the stove.
- Serve it with banana slices/ pickle.