This is one of the Kerala recipes. You can make this recipe with palntain, potato, yam, cowpeas,chick peas. the combination is Plantain-cowpeas, Plantain – Chick peas, Yam- chick peas, Plantain-potato-cowpeas. this recipe is not made in a regular basis but once this is made, there is no left over.
Vaazhakkai(Plantain) – 1/2
Cow peas – 1 cup
Salt – As required
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Pepper – 4 tsp
Red chilli – 1
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
Curry leaves – few
- Soak the Cowpeas in water for 6-8 hours/overnight.
- Cut the plantain into small cubes.
- Next day drain the water and pressure cook the plantain and cowpeas with little water, salt and turmeric powder.
- In a kadai, add the pressure cooked vegetables.
- Grind pepper, red chilly, grated coconut and add to the vegetables.
- Allow it to cook.
- Finally in another kadai/pan add 2 tsp coconut oil, and splutter mustard seeds, channa dhal, urad dhal and curry leaves.
- Once they crack, add the grated coconut and fry until they turn golden brown or until you feel the smell of the coconut.
- Put these fried items in the vegetable mixture.
- Mix well and cook for five minutes.
- Serve it with hot rice and papadam.