Plantain/vazhakkai is one of the common vegetable that is used in almost all Kerala recipes – Mulagootal, moorukoottaan,mezhukkuperatti,aviyal, etc., vaazhakkai Podimas is a simple South Indian style stir fry with Raw bananas. It should be made with unripened bananas else its taste will be spoiled. it is slighlt different from the vazhakkai varuval/mezhukkuperatti and everyone likes it.
(Plantain)Vaazhakkai – 4
Coconut grated – 4 tbsp
Ginger – a small piece
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Green chilly – 1
Salt – As required
Mustard – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Cut the plantain into half and pressure cook it for two whistles. It should not be mushy.
- Now remove the skin of the plantain and grate it slowly.
- In a kadai add coconut oil and sputter mustard seeds. then add urad dhal and channa dhal and fry them till they become golden brown.
- Now add the ginger and chopped green chillies and saute them for one minute.
- Than add the grated plantain, turmeric powder, salt and grated coconut.
- Mix everything together and add 1 tsp coconut oil at the end to enhance the taste and the flavour.
- Its ready to serve.
Note: You can add 1/2 tsp lemon juice at the end.